1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup Covers

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xan, Nov 7, 2006.

1. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Hi guys,

Bought an MIA Precision recently and after having played an Ibanez with emg style pickup covers (ie - non-exposed pole pieces) I keep digging too hard and connecting the string with the pole piece, making that horrible "clack" sound.

Ive bought some emg style pickup covers and am hoping to swap them for the standard p pickup covers. Having never toyed around with pickups before, is there anything I need to be careful of or special instructions? I think it should be a simple swap but figure its better to be safe than sorry.

I want to use to pickup covers because I like the setup the way it is and dont really want to change too much.

Cheers!

Mike

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If the new pickup covers fit it should be an easy swap. Some guys just cover the pickups with clear tape and that works too.

You might want to work on your technique so that you don't produce that horrible clacking sound. Your overall sound will improve as well. I've been playing with exposed pole pieces for more years than I want to count and never have that problem.

If your amplification isn't adequate for the voiume you play at you tend to dig in harder to compensate. Also see if your pickups are too close to the strings and lower them if needed.

3. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for the help!

I do probably need to look at my technique. Its not a real problem, just occasionally I want to emphasise say an open E and dig too hard. The reason I want to swap the covers is because I have a gig coming up soon, and I dont want to have to worry about hitting the pole piece and making a fool of myself :)

Thanks mate

4. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I have always wondered about this. Is the only reason for the "clacking" sound that the string touches the pole? So if I got pick-ups that didn't have those exposed, would the clacking stop?

5. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I suspect that some of it may also be the string slapping the neck if you're digging in too hard, but the loudest most annoying "clacking" definitely comes from the polepiece. If your pickup's too high you're still going to get a bit of that even with covered poles.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021