1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup Covers?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I've seen these on old Precision Basses and Rickenbacker 4003, and I was curious; what exactly do these do? Do they affect the tone?

2. Primarily just looks, they do not affect the tone directly. The only thing it really affects is where on the string you would pluck. That's about the only way it would affect tone.

3. Ditto.

They are bling - but were originally for protection against stray Gamma rays.

It didn't work though.

4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Some people use the bridge cover to hide foam string mutes. They mostly just get in the way though haha.

5. haha --- no they don't

I have chrome covers on a few of my basses - and a couple of them have Elixir Nanos on them, and even without the covers, the kitty fur that develops is still in accessible areas where I normally play anyway.

6. Here's my take on it:
    When Leo Fender would introduce a new model or added parts, he would invite players to his shop to try them out. A lot of players used their thumb, hince the lower thumb/finger rest. the PU cover served as a palm rest. The cover over the bridge insured that you didn't cut your palm if you played back there in the same fashion plus it later served as a mute holder such as foam...Tone or any other equations will solely be left up to the individual. Take in mind...I read this somewhere long ago, so don't get angered if you read something entirely different. Why Ric done it I don't know