1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup design questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by neurotictim, Apr 15, 2015.

1. So I'm designing a pickup. Mostly for fun, just to see if I can, and what it might sound like. I have been intrigued by the Wal design for years, having only played one or two but remembering the distinctive tone very well. I understand that the sound of a Wal is a combination of unique pickups and SVF circuit, not to mention player, but anyway, that's my inspiration.

So I've been screwing around a bit, researching all over the interwebz, trying to come up with a useable design. So far I think I've been pretty successful, in the sense that I have a much greater understanding of what makes a pickup than I did a week ago. But I'm left with some questions that have me stumped.

First of all, I'm going to make a 5 string pup - purely because that's what I want - with 18mm spacing over the poles. The overall idea is to machine a stainless steel bar with height adjustable stainless steel poles, which will then be attached via epoxy on a 3D printed backing plate to N52 bar magnets. I will 3D print bobbins for each individual pole, and wind those bobbins with 42/43/44 awg wire. (Haven't decided on gauge). There will be two bars of 5 poles each, with 2 poles for each string. The neck side will have the south pole up and wound clockwise, the bridge side will have the north pole up and wound clockwise. I will run each string pair in series, then combine all five string pairs in parallel, for a 2 conductor pickup (plus shield).

So I plan on doing two bars, or a total of 10 bobbins. Here's where I run into trouble. I started off with a goal of 2.5k ohms per bobbin, so that I would have a total of 5k ohms per string pair. Then I would wire all five string pairs in parallel and have a nice, neat final resistance of 1k ohms.

The problem is that the more I research it, the more I find that resistance is only one factor, and if I wanted 2.5k ohms per bobbin I'd have to wind a touch over 1500 FEET of wire. For 10 bobbins, that's over a pound of wire for one pickup. Seems excessive.
    So now I'm thinking I'll just make my bobbins, wind them till they're full, then put a meter across the leads and see what I get before potting them.

Anyone care to chime in with thoughts or experiences?