Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Ok... I was replacing strings and a pickguard to my Fender P bass. I took teh strings and guard off, and decided now would be a good time to replace my pickups to seymour duncan quarter pounders. I soldered it to where the old pickups were soldered to, but my challenge seems to be screwing them in. Is there a trick to this??? They have these rubber washer things that go around the screw I suppose to keep it up, but I dont understand why the covers stay and the actuall magnets and coils fall.. It is pissing me off beyond beleif.. Does it stay with those rubber sleves?

Also, can you put them in in the wrong order? Is there a top and bottom pickup?

I need help quick I need to do it tonight as it is getting really cold tonight and i would like some tension on my neck so my bass dont kiss its own ass goodbye and warp my neck beyond beleif (rare chance but who in their right mind would risk it).

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have found that the rubber tubing that SD provides for pickup height adjustment is useless.

I suggest finding some foamy/spongy material (I have used thick mouse pads), cut it to size (you may need more than one thickness/layer), and put it under the pickups in the same manner that your Fender pickups should have been installed. You will probably need thicker "foam" than the foam used for your Fender pickups, because the Seymour Duncan pickups will probably be thinner.

Also, I don't think it matters sound-wise which coil goes on the "top or bottom", but the wiring should dictate the easiest spot for installation.

I hope this helps...
  3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Yeah. Get some foam, pop it under the pups, and you're all set.
  4. +1

I had SD 1/4 pounders and thats what I did.
  5. yea i poped some foam in there last night. I am kinda bummed tho that after instalation one of the sides of teh pickup droppedso teh head of teh screw is way higher than i like it and is actually a little above the pickup covers....but then i realized they settled in and they are now rock solid in place (and set to the correct height)....so i dont think it matters....

btw, they sound amazing!

Oh also...Does anyone else purposely shy the pickup away from the G string because they hate the super trebley sound of the string?