Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup foam info

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Regarding the foam under the pickup, I assume the screws on my Dimarzio ultra jazz 5's go into the wood of the cavity, but should they pass through the foam (or cut up mousepad in my case) or just go straight into the wood?

How much padding should go under the pickups? Ing general is one piece of mousepad enough, or is more than one layer necessary? Thanks in advance.

BTW.- Im pairing these Ultra jazzes with an aguilar OBP-3.

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I don't think there is any reason to have the screws go through that piece of material.....since its only purpose is to raise the pickup a bit. I just have the existing foam plus one layer of mousepad, and that works fine.

3. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    the screws should go straight into the wood

as for the amount of foam...
    go down to you local bass store and ask them about the foam (sometimes they have real "foamy" foam) and one piece of real foam should do, even if you have the pickups raised higher up for higher actions. If not, two wouldn't hurt.

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Mousepad layers?? As many as needed. I believe I have 3 layers on my Yamaha. Just keep adding layers until the pickups are close enough to the strings.

5. Mouse pads are pretty stiff stuff. I cut up the appropriate size piece of foam from a larger block of the open cell stuff. It is much less stiff, and will out less strain on the two screws holding down the pickup. I suspect the looser foam will have less tendency to transmit vibration to the pickup from the body.

You can get blocks of foam at any fabric shop.