1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup for 5-string Precision-type tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Soulbanana, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    What pickup do you recommend for a 5-string Precision-style tone, yet able to maintain tightness in the B?

I'm planning to build a '54 P-bass style 35" 5-string and want just one pickup with an onboard preamp.

I was considering the Bartolini 58CBP with the NTMB with the two halved reversed, or a single 72M55C angled.

Will it also work if I took a warmer sounding pickup like the EMG45CS and angled it with the bass-side closer to the bridge? I use the wider pickup to accomodate for the angling.

Lastly, has anybody tried this with EMGs - "passive" style tone control w/EMG-VMC midcontrol?

Thanks!

2. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Bartolini makes a killer P5. It's what I've got loaded in my Frankenbass. Warmoth neck, Allparts body, Bart P, Basslines MM, V/V/T setup.

Kills my Fender Am Dlx J5.

Like it better than the Sadowsky I just sold, too!

dcr

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    There aren't many options for a 5-string P pickup, but the Duncan pickup that Mike Lull uses in his P5s are excellent. The B is punchy and clear, the lows are deep and rich, and it imparts a sweet, grindy, vintage P tone across the spectrum.

4. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    I think I'll go with the Bart P5. Think it'll sound focussed on the Low B if I swop the coils around?