Pickup for 5-string Precision-type tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Soulbanana, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    What pickup do you recommend for a 5-string Precision-style tone, yet able to maintain tightness in the B?

I'm planning to build a '54 P-bass style 35" 5-string and want just one pickup with an onboard preamp.

I was considering the Bartolini 58CBP with the NTMB with the two halved reversed, or a single 72M55C angled.

Will it also work if I took a warmer sounding pickup like the EMG45CS and angled it with the bass-side closer to the bridge? I use the wider pickup to accomodate for the angling.

Lastly, has anybody tried this with EMGs - "passive" style tone control w/EMG-VMC midcontrol?

2. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Bartolini makes a killer P5. It's what I've got loaded in my Frankenbass. Warmoth neck, Allparts body, Bart P, Basslines MM, V/V/T setup.

Kills my Fender Am Dlx J5.

Like it better than the Sadowsky I just sold, too!

3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    There aren't many options for a 5-string P pickup, but the Duncan pickup that Mike Lull uses in his P5s are excellent. The B is punchy and clear, the lows are deep and rich, and it imparts a sweet, grindy, vintage P tone across the spectrum.
  4. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I think I'll go with the Bart P5. Think it'll sound focussed on the Low B if I swop the coils around?