1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup for 6 string fretless bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by caibass999, Dec 31, 2020.

1. caibass999

caibass999

Dec 31, 2020
    Taiwan
    Hi TBers.

I'd like to build a 6 string fretless bass.
    My setting is only one pickup on the bridge side.
    Now I looking for Kent Armstrong, Delano, and Nordstrand.
    But it's really hard to choice one.
    Is anybody has experience with these brand, or any other suggest?
    I'll be grateful for any recommendations.

Some spec as below:
    Body: alder with maple top
    Neck: Maple
    Fingerboard: ebony

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I don’t know what would work well for fretless, so I’ll just suggest you pick a common pickup size, so you can easily swap pickups if you don’t like them. Either EMG45 or Bart P4.

the other thing - do you have a sense of the exact pickup placement you will chose? It can matter quite a bit.

actually, depending on design preferences, you could could do a small swim pool rout, which could accommodate several pickup sizes and positions. Once you nail both to your liking, you can have a custom pickup cover/ramp made that will both house the chosen pickup and cover the rout. If you like the look of large pickups/ramps, this would free you up some to experiment.

Snaxster likes this.
  3. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    I have done several pickup swaps on 6ers, including a fretless.

First recommendation, get it in EMG 45 size. While everyone that makes a P4 sized generally also makes a EMG45 size pickup, there are some great pickup manufacturers like Q tuner that only make 45 sized pickups for 6 string.

Second, I would take a look at aguilar DCBs. They were very similar to delano dual coils but slightly less expensive.

I had them in my fretless and it sounded great. For fretless, i prefer a dual coil or other more hifi pickup that will capture the Mwah of the fretless in crystal detail i stead of a single coil or otger more flavorful pickup that adds its own color.

Also i just swapped my aguilar DCBs out of my fretted warwick thumb 6 to put in ulyate split coil tic tacs.

I will do a demo video this weekend if you can hold off buying whichever pickup you choose for a week to add Ulyate as a point of reference.
    Howard Ulyate was incredibly helpful and i have heard good things about his pickups so I will be curious to try them out.

4. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Graphtech piezo pickups in a modified bridge with Richter six channel buffer.
    IMG_4770.JPG IMG_4771.JPG

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Five years ago I had repairman replace the pickups in my Tune TWB63 fretless with a set of Delano SBC 7 HE/S duo coils.
    I used the 7 string version because the length was exactly the same as the route.
    It just needed a bit wider route.
    Delano.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  6. caibass999

caibass999

Dec 31, 2020
    Taiwan
    Thank you all guys. EMG45's housing will be my choice.
    About the pickup position, F-Bass AC6 is the reference for my build.
    Now I'm looking for RMC piezo system. hahaha...
    I guess it will take 4-6 month to be done.
    Hope I cauld remember make a video for your reference.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021