Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup for a Lemur

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by B.C., Jun 29, 2005.

1. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Hey guys, I've got a Laguna Sunrise on the way. I was also wondering what any of you guys would suggest for a pickup for amplifying the bass. I play in a rather large jazz band and would like to know. Thanks! :help:

Brandon

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Congrats on the new fiddle!

Thumb through the 'Newbie Links' -- there are reams of discussion on more topics than you've probably had a chance to consider.

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    The Newbie links are indeed an excellent place to start!

(I think) the most widely used pickups are probably the Underwood, the K&K Bass Max and its relatives, the Realist, and the Upton Revolution SOLO.

I have experience w/ the Bass Max and the Rev SOLO, and would recommend either one for starters.

There are more expensive options too, like the Schertler STAT-B and the DYN-B.

P.S. I recall Ron Carter stating in an article that he was surprised more players didn't experiment and try several different pickups on their bass. No matter what you read about a pickup, they are really just guidelines. As others have posted here before, a pickup that sounds great on one instrument might sound not so great on another bass.

Good luck!

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Revolution solo is a great pickup especially for the money. It is darker sounding than a lot of pickups but still has a natural clarity to it. Definitely one of the nicer pickups out there.

5. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    +1 re: the Revolution SOLO.

I like a darker old school sound. I tried the SOLO in its recommended placement ("R" symbol facing away from the table) for about 20 seconds when I first got it.

Then I flipped it over, and immediately got what I considered to be a fuller, more pleasing sound. So I took some time to find a sweet spot for the pickup that resulted in a sound that I really liked, and I've been pretty much delighted with the SOLO ever since.

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Ditto on the Upton Revolution Solo. A fantastic product for the $$$.

7. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Thanks guys. I'm fairly new to double bass though I've been playing electric for years. I'm going to be having fun learning this new discipline :D