Pickup for a Musicmaster

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by captainchambers, Feb 9, 2006.

1. captainchambers

Jan 4, 2006
    I did not see this anywhere in the Forum...what kind of pickup options are out there for a Fender Musicmaster? I saw somewhere there was a Seymour Duncan that woiuld fit...
  2. bkief1

Dec 25, 2005
    I use a Bill Lawrence L-250 XL, which is a single coil sized double-rail humbucker. Having said that, Bill no longer manufactures these. I am waiting for his production of the new L-220's to begin and try one of these.

In the interim, I can suggest watching ebay for an L-250. I like the rail configuration, and, of course, there are offerings from other manufacturers available. I wouldn't recommend one that is too hot; that is, an inductance over maybe 5.0-5.5 henries.

3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Is this an older, ('70s), Musicmaster? What about the stock pickup do you not like? I've tried several on my '78, and have always come back to the stock one...

Never tried the four-pole duncan, but I did try their little s/c sized 'bucker with good results. After the stock p'up, my favorite was an older blue-label lace sensor... Very clean and high output. I think I still have it in my box o' stuff. You're welcome to it if you want to try it out. Doesn't have a cover, but fits nicely under the stock cover...

The electronics seem to choke the tone. At first, I thought the pickup on mine was at fault, but I bypassed the controls and wired it directly to the output and it was an entirely different animal. In the end, I mated the stock pickup with a Raven Labs P Retro kit, (no longer in production, sadly), and my Musicmaster is now one of my 'reference' basses... Always sounds consistently good!

4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    SC Cool Rails
    DiMarzio Fast Track 1, Pro Track.
    EMG FT
  5. mhibbs

Feb 17, 2006
    The Seymour Duncan's you're looking for are these:

SCPB-1 - replacement for the original
    SCPB-2 - high output version of the 1
    SCPB-3 - high output w/ larger poles

I just picked up a MusicMaster also and I'm going to try either the 2 or 3. The stock output is just too low for me. Right now I'm leaning towards the 3.