1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup for acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Clarkybass, May 28, 2011.

1. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2010
    I have just agreed to buy an early 1980s fretless Eko acoustic bass. I would like to use it live, amplified. Please could anyone give me some recommendations for a pickup, be it a microphone or piezo (I also play play double bass so I have a preamp that would work for this)? Or, if this topic has been covered before, point me to the right thread? Many thanks :)

2. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    K&K Pure pickup and external preamp. I had replaced the piezo in my Acoustic with this setup. Great tone. Idea came from a post on talkbass a few years ago.

Pure Bass - K&K Sound

3. Clarkybass

Apr 30, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion! does this mean you have to drill out a hole for the end pin jack? I was hoping I wouldn't have to modify the instrument body.

4. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Highlander and LR Baggs make the best undersaddle pickups IMO. Not piezo, modern smooth sounding units that capture vibrations, not pressure like a piezo. I have a Highlander on my acoustic guitar and it sounds better than my brothers $3000 Taylor expression system. On my Acoustic Electric Bass I have the LR Baggs and it kills!
    Highly reccomend both!

5. BassBod

BassBod

Aug 18, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    The K&K is a good one..but you will need a jack/endpin fitted (whatever system you go for). Bear in mind that your Eko will be more sensitive to its environment than even a double bass..so it will feedback at fairly low volumes if you are close to your speaker.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    So, is it the Eko Eston bass. Kinda oval'ish sound hole ? If so, then you could have a luthier make you a cover system for the hole and mount something there. Bring a fixed lead out the top.

I use a K&K but it would be hell on earth to mount in that bass due to the shape of the sound hole.

7. Clarkybass

Apr 30, 2010
    It is indeed that bass with the oval sound hole! Does the feedback issue mean a clip on microphone like a K&K Golden Bullet would be better or worse than a piezo or vibration capturing pickup?

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Good question. I've never played about with a Golden Bullet.

Frankly, I think that the shape of the sound hole means that installation of anything except a soundhole type pickup in some special arrangement is going to be tough. Tough would mean expensive in this case ... lot's of hours fabricating little widgets to work inside the body as unless he's a very flexible 9 yr old girl with extremely long arms :D, it's going to be next to impossible to do anything in there...

How does it sound if you point a decent mic at the 12th fret or maybe the neck/body joint ?

9. lsabina

lsabina

Sep 3, 2008
    WNY
    If that bass has a floating bridge (mine does, from 1980) then you want a "floating bridge" pickup from K&K. Other companies have 'em too.
    Check out the K&K at:
    Pure Floating Bridge - K&K Sound

10. Clarkybass

Apr 30, 2010
    Great suggestion, thanks! there is a UK shop that sells the floating bridge pickup. And it doesn't require drilling out a hole for the jack :)

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That looks like a great solution. I had no idea K&K made that. I probably mentioned above that I really like the K&K pure in my Tacoma Thunderchief.

(Now I have to start looking for an Eko Eston f'less on this side of the pond.)