Pickup for Alembic bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Steven Melensen, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    Hi,

I have an Alembic bass (that I love) with Alembic pickups. I bought this instrument mainly to play solo bass compositions, but recently I wanted to record modern rock music and the results were disappointing. Actually, there were not enough low frequencies for my taste.

So I would like to know if you guys might have an advice about which pickup could help me to get more bass out of my bass :D.

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Do you have the low pass filters on this Alembic? Crank the filter down on the neck pickup so that you get a thick low end tone, and then mix in the bridge.

I've never heard an Alembic sound thin. Stanley Clarke did say that he boost the bass up all the way on his Alembic F2-B preamp.

Regarding replacements, what size pickups are they? AXY? MXY? P/J?

3. hgregs

hgregs

Sep 25, 2008
    ct/ny border
    alembic pickups are one of the best things about alembic basses. you might be better off selling the bass as is, and buying a bass that suits your preferences... swapping out pickups will diminish the resale value of an alembic bass.

sorry i'm not answering your question directly... i'm sure some people will chime in with p/u options.

4. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    I have to agree with this. My experience with Alembic pickups and electronics is that there is plenty of low end. There's also plenty of other frequencies, so try some subtractive EQ.

Also, it could be the result from the rest of the signal path. DIs, bass pres, mic pres, etc. all can contribute to the sound and have a potential to roll off lows.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021