Pickup for Alembic

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Persuader, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    I have a Spoiler body,P/J Alembic...i got it with EMG P/J's already in it (used).
    The acoustic tone of the bass is very full with sustain....but I'm wondering if there are better choices for pickups .The bass seems abit too 'HiFi'...I'd like some character to the tone.

Any suggestions ?
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'd suggest Dimarzio's first up as they're common, easily obtainable and re-sellable if you don't like them. And sound pretty good too.
    There's not going to be a lot of people out there with experience of changing different pickups into Alembics, so you're out in uncharted territories. Read the 'Dimento' series and SMASH's comparo's and also anything for people who've changed the pups in basses with similar sorts of construction to the Persuader.
    Post your results/experiments as I'm curious.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'd suggest getting an Alembic F1-X (or F2-B) preamp, and experiencing the bass as it was really meant to sound. That'll give your "hi-fi" tone some real meaning. :)
  4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    My theory is always that if you're getting a monster like Alembic, Fodera, Sadowsky, MTD, etc... It makes all the sense in the world to keep everything stock. I'd suggest trying to get some Alembic pickups, first. If not, then I second getting that preamp from Alembic. Alembic's are a special breed, but do what you like.