Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup for an Ibanez SR?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nate22, Jan 1, 2005.

1. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    First and foremost...I tried searching for answers...didn't come up w/ much. SR485(5string soundgear)

Right now, still have stock DX5 pickups and I'm definitely looking to upgrade :)

Someone told me EMG's or bartolini's.

Any recommendations on what style?

biggest question.... I've got 5 control knobs....volume, sweep, bass,treble, and mids....

I have no knowledge on the guts of my bass...which knobs will I have to swap w/ the new pickups? God..I must sound a complete idiot...please have patience.

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    TTT

I know somebody's got the answer...have mercy on a curious soul? :D

3. I once had an Ibanez SR1000 from I think it was late 80's or early 90's (wish I never got rid of it, only Ibanez I have ever liked) which came with EMG's in stock. I don't know which kind but man oh man... go EMG's

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    0.o

Stock EMGs?

My Ibanez RB800 from the 80s just says Ibanez on the pickups...guess no EMGs unlike you :p

5. someone on here (or 2 people) told me the 1000's came with them... :confused:

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Bartolini's came on my SR3005, sound insanely good.

7. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    Ok..it's definitely a toss up between Bartolini's and EMG's....

Next question? I want J-pickups, right? And will I have to switch out all my knobs(volume,sweep,bass,mid,treble)??

I promise..I'm almost done :D

8. It's probably best to look at replacing your preamp first. It may give you what you need. I think you'd be less than impressed hooking up some upgraded pups to your stock Ibanez preamp. I have replaced all the stock bits in my SR-505 and in hindsight probably should have gone with just the preamp to start. However, all that did turn my Ibo into a much better sounding bass. :)

9. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    It depends on what style is in your bass, so that you don't have to route anything. Its probably soapbars you want. Make sure you get the right size.

I'd go with the Bartolinis. I've got a P-bass Bart in my P-bass and it sounds awesome. Its thick and chunky, with out being muddy. Its also got a lot of balls. Of course this is a P-style pickup, but I'm sure you'd be pleased with the soapbar Barts.

10. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I just bought bartolini pickups and a Demeter preamp from

http://www.bestbassgear.com

for my Ibanez SR405. I got the bartolini 72M45C (EMG 40 Shape) - deep tone dual coil pickups. They are soapbar style, 4.0 inches by 1.5 inches. The Demeter preamp has five knobs just like your setup. You can also get a bartolini preamp with five knobs, or an Aguilar OBP-3 with five knobs. The Demeter and Bartolini are prewired. Bestbassgear will wire up the Aguilar preamp for you according to your specifications.

You can read for days on talkbass.com about bartolini, Aguilar, and Demeter.

If you are concerned about battery failure, the bartolini pickups are passive and you can get a bartolini preamp with an active/passive push/pull volume knob so you can use it when the battery dies. I belive that the emg pickups you would choose are active, even though they do make some passive ones, and the Demeter preamp is always active. So if you go the emg pickup route or the Demeter preamp route, you will not be able to play if the battery dies.

tim99.

11. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  12. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    THANK you my friend..this is what I was looking for

Cheers,
    Nate

13. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Seymour Duncan Basslines are THE BOMB!!!! I took some EMGs out of my fretless five,and installed some Basslines ASB2-5s,and it made all the difference in the world.It has no additional active onboard preamp.Just the ones that are built into the pups themselves.
    It sounds as if the bass,mids,and treble were perfectly "tweaked" to provide a perfectly eq'd,and clear tone.I only had to make very subtle,minor adjustments to my rack's preamp to make my rig just AWESOME.
    My other basses all have passive Barts in them,with an active Bart preamp,but I'm replacing them all with active SD/Bassline pups a.s.a.p.
    I'd look into them if I were you.You definately can't go wrong with them.Here's a link.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/basses.shtml

---------------------------------------------------------------

14. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I had a BTB1005. I ordered custom Bartolini's and a Demeter preamp for it. The pickups took 5 months to come in, so the preamp went in first. It made a huge difference in the sound. The bass became usable. Once the pickups came in I was a little disappointed. They did not make as big an improvement in the sound of the bass as the preamp did. They were a little better, but if I had known that they were going to take so long to come in I would have just kept the stock pickups in and saved the cash. The deficiency was definitely in the preamp.

15. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    This is interesting - I've got a BTB1005EOL with the Barts in it. I've had some trouble with the pre-amp distorting and it's taking forever for Ibanez agent to get a replacement - huge hassles let me tell you!

I take it your 1005 had the MIJ pickups that were stock issues before they cahnged to barts. When i saw your post I was wondering if I shouldn't look at getting the Demeter pre-amp and putting that in with the bart pick-ups.

Your thoughts?

Mo

16. rpatter

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I bought my 1005 the fist year they came out, before they went with the Bart stuff. I loved the feel, but I knew I was going to have to do something about the electronics. So is your preamp the NTMB? Considering how chincy the Ibanez electronics were, it's hard to believe that they could put in Bartolini and not raise the price. If you already have Barts, try the Demeter out. It has a much bigger sound than the Bartolini. It's also a lot easier to install.

Ralf

17. snailplow

If the Barts have the name in small raised letters,in the bottom right corner of their covers,along with "MK 1" beneath,they're made overseas,for budget basses.
    Bill Bartolini designed them,but making them overseas costs less because of cheaper labor and components.Ibanez probably doesn't spend that much more on them,if any.
    A friend of mine replaced the overseas Bart pups and preamp in his Lakland Skyline five string with some Seymour Duncan/Basslines aftermarket pups and pre,and it made all the difference in the world.

18. rpatter

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I suspected that they weren't made in the Bartolini factory. That would also explain why Maurice is having a hard time getting a replacement preamp. NTMB's are plentiful in the US but the Ibanez Bartolini pre would have to come from overseas. I would still start off replacing the preamp. The "import" Bartolini pickups would have to be at least as good as the stock Ibanez pickups I had in mine. If he still wants more after replacing the preamp he can upgrade the pickups as well.

Ralf

19. snailplow

Here's another possibility as to a place that will probably have what he's looking for.These guys carry Bartolini,EMG,Seymour Duncan/Basslines,Demeter,and even some boutique preamps I've never heard of.I highly suggest that he replaces his import Bart pre with an U.S. made,after market one.There's usually something sonically lacking in the dynamics of import preamps.

Rock Block Guitars
    2113 Elliston Place
    Nashville, TN 37203
    Phone: 615-321-0317
    rockblock@aol.com

20. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    so many choices for pups......where can I hear samples of both(basslines and barts?)

I'm learning, woohoo!