Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup for Latin

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by basss, Nov 30, 2004.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've been playing my URB in a Salsa band and the bandleader keeps bugging my to buy a Baby Bass. I'm thinking I could comprimise by using a pickup more suited to getting that authentic latin sound.
    I'm using a Realist and it works but I'm constantly fighting feedback. I know the Baby Basses use magnetic pickups. Is there a particular pickup that is suited to Latin music?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    do you happen to deal with too much sustain as well?

bump, good thread

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Realist should be a good pickup for that style of music. If you are fighting feedback perhaps you have to much low end in the signal. You may want to cut some. A change of strings would also change the tone quite a bit depending on what you are using. You don't want sustain.

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The main problems with the sound are too much mwah and not enough thump.

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've been thinking about changing strings. I have Orch guage TI's on now. Any recomendations? Obligatos maybe?

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i need to get some different strings as well. i have a little too much mwah as well.

7. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Nice thumpy tone strings:
    Flexocor '92s
    Jargar (these have even less sustain than the Flex '92s)

Pirastro Chromcors, with their solid steel core, have a percussive tone, and not much sustain. They're stiffer on the left hand than the above strings though.

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you are playing latin almost exclusively you might want to look into Nylon strings like the Supernils, or the Innovation 140H(which are much better IMO). The Innovation 140B will have even less sustain but will still be very gut like in attack and sound.

9. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    As you increase the string height, you will lose mwah and gain thump. That, combined with gut strings or the other strings recommended in this thread, should be a big help.

10. Well - here are four that often work for me:

Frequentasne hunc locum?

Nonne alicubi prius convenimus?

Sentio me iam te novisse

Apudne te vel me?

:)

- Wil

11. I played in a latin band for four years. My way to get around it was to thread a handkerchief through the strings just in front of the bridge. Perfect! Added thump, cut sustain, and you could blow your nose on your bass! LOL!

12. On another thread, Arnold explains why he gets tired of his clients using the term ACTION, instead of bridge height.
    I'm getting this way when people try to describe bass sound with MWAH and Thump
    Again, it's probably another old age issue for me, but how about Mwah=sustain and Thump= Point of tone.

13. ctxbass

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I'm sorry Paul. They're not my favorite terms either, but I was responding to bassssss's query. I agree that "point of tone" or "attack" would be better than "thump". "Mwah" bothers me more than "thump", but I don't think it's just about sustain. I think it's the combination of attack and decay.

Personally, I like to keep the "d" in "dmmm".

14. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Didn't mean to bunch anyone's panties. I'm just doing my best to describe sound using words. Mwah is a the best way I have of describing the part of the sound I need less of. By mwah I mean how the sound develops with less high end at the begining of the note and more at the end. mmmmwwwaaahhh By thump I guess I mean the oposite of this - more lows in the attack.

15. ctxbass

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    It's not a problem for me. Your description made the question clear.

16. ctxbass

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Marty's idea seems like a good one. It reminds me of the foam bridge mutes on the old P basses.

17. I wasn't trying to come down on anyone. I just think it's funny the verbal stuff we have to come up with to relate to each other.

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    "Mwah" is the name for the maternal parent in a marriage between a Hillbilly and a Bostonian, i.e.;

"Pass me the cornbread and chowdah, Mwah".

"Thump" is what mwah gives you upside the head for not saying "please".

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

Good Stuff!!