1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup for maple body, maple neck 'jazz'

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mr.mow, Jun 11, 2012.

1. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Ok, technically not a jazz, but really.. It's a jazz with a body kit.

My new Gibson RD, maple body, maple set neck, obeche board (similar to maple). From the factory it has Duncan hotstack pickups, I suspect the neck pup is faulty, I've tried shielding everything, regroubding, rewiring and it's just noisy as hell.

When I touch the magnet on the treble side of the neck pickup it goes nuts.. None of the others, just that one, something is not right.

Regardless,
    What would people recommend for a maple set neck jazz, I'm guessing I have to be a bit careful finding something that would match the snappiness of the maple/maple construction.

2. A mean, grindy rock pickup.

I immediately think of the Dimarzio Model P and J. I bet the grinding midrange of the Dimarzio Model J will go well with that bass.

I play a Ric and it has single coils, but they are pretty hot so the bass never sounds too thin- I love the amount of metallic top-end hard maple seems to be able to produce.:)

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Unless I'm totally out of the loop on recent developments, Gibson hasn't produced a "new" RD bass guitar since around 1979, when the entire RD model became defunct. Neither could it be considered a Jazz Bass type of instrument. I know. I once owned an all-black RD Artist which I bought brand new - in 1978. :eyebrow:

As for your question(s), it seems that you want a pickup that will match the aggressiveness of a mostly hard maple instrument, yes? Assuming that you have an actual RD from back in the day, that would mean a humbucker.

I recently had a pair of Nordstrand Dual Coils installed into my Carvin LB75. They sound wonderful: clean and clear when played lightly, but I detected a great growl when I began to dig in on the strings. With the right onboard preamp, those could be a winner.

Of course, if you're looking for something to compensate for the brightness & aggressiveness of the hard maple, and smooth out its potentially harsh high end, consider Bartolinis...

MM

4. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    :)
    Gibson did last year bring out a 'new' RD bass as a Krist Novoselic (Nirvana) sig model!

5. Sometimes I agree that Barts would even out the sound of maple, but I also think you have to go with a wood's strong point, and accentuate it.

Maple has lots of bass and midrange punch, but it also can have razor highs. Those can be considered attributes in a rock mix.

Something like the Model J will turn that combo into raw grind...but I may be out of the game. There's a lot of pickups out there, and I've been happy with my close-to-stock bass for a while. All I know is I had Barts and hated their muted highs.:)

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It's new, it's under warranty. Why buy new pickups when they can fix it.

What's going on is that the magnets are probably hot (shorted to the signal).

7. jp8848

jp8848

Mar 15, 2012
    Hendersonville, NC
    Screw the warranty OVERRATED and a pain in the butt! Change them out with SGD ND3s from David!

8. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    New, but privately imported (we aren't getting them in aus), so no warranty!

9. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Ah!

10. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    I couldn't agree more! :D

Or get a new replacement for the bad pickup. I'm sure Duncan will sell just one.

11. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    Have you made any enquiries about a direct replacement? Can you get any help from whoever you bought it from? Such new gear really shouldn't be failing so readily.

Can you replace the pickup without changing the routes? It would be a real shame to devalue the bass so soon...

12. Put an SGD pup in there:)

13. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    It's just a regular jazz bass pickup in it, I could replace it like for like but I'm not super keen on the Duncan hotstacks as it is, the growl fron them is fun for a while.. But then you realize that's about all it can do!