Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup for rubber strings?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Slap_embrutex, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Slap_embrutex

Slap_embrutex

May 25, 2005
    hi, i´m thinking to build an ashbory like bass with rubber strings, but i´m doubing in what kind of pickup use (no dealer for original parts). i´m spanish and at my local music store they have a small stock, my options are:
    -under saddle transducer for guitar
    -twin disc transducer for double bass
    -multipurposal single disc transducer
    i don´t wanna spend much money in it so all this pickups are under 50$ and i´m going to use a homemade piezo buffer.
    by the way, wood or metal bridge?

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I would use the 2-disc bass pickup with a wooden bridge.

3. RaTTeR

RaTTeR Don't forget your towel!

Dec 25, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
  4. jburtonca

jburtonca

Nov 25, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
  5. Road_Toad

Road_Toad

Jul 7, 2005
    California
    The twin disc piezos have much better output compared to an undersaddle unit. I use the K&K Sound pure bass and get a great woody sound, but I haven't gone with the solid body design yet. I do an ebony bridge & saddle with the 2 piezo discs mounted directly under the saddle- one disc for each string pair. Here's mine:

http://www.roadtoadmusic.com/files/010BB_w_octave_black.JPG

6. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    +1 for the twin piezos. I used the K&K bassmax, the most powerful DB piezo pickup I know. In 3 years (until lost :( ) I never managed to add the preamp in the chain, the sound was plenty strong without preamp.