1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup Height Passive P/J Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bassy Mark, Oct 7, 2013.

1. I have this Yamaha BB415 I recently acquired. I believe the pickups were raised but I'm not sure. I lowered them to do the set up knowing that pups to close to the strings can mess with intonation.

What is a good starting reference point for these types of pickups?

I promise I read all the set up guides and not one of them mentions this part of the set up.

Thanks,

Mark

Bass in question:

bb%2520body%2520frt.

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    press the last fret and the string should be about an 1/8" above the pickup

3. On mine i adjust the P pickup like it was on a P bass. The jazz pickup is much higher, just below the strings.

4. An eighth of an inch seems pretty close. Is that based on anything in particular or was that a factory set up that you observed?

5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i measured mine and consulted my luthier friend, if you play hard it might be too close, if you fingerstyle lightly it's very nice

6. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    1/8" is a fairly common standard or staring point. If pick ups are really hot go a little lower. Another common set is to either raise closer at G string or lower at the E if you are getting more vol. out of the bass side. also remember with the P style pups you need to match contour of the finger board radius. Try to get even response string to string. As mentioned previously some prefer the bridge pu closer. You should experiment for your own taste. It won't take you long to get where you like it.

7. Thank you all for the help. Good community.

8. This. From memory Fender lists pickup heights on their website. I use that for the P (roughly) and set the J as high as it needs to be to get an even volume.