Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup height question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dougray, Jan 18, 2004.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    hello, i have a lakland 55-01 bass,and the pickups are slightly tilted towards the bridge,is it important to have the pickups parallel to the strings.i mean for sound/volume. or doesnt it matter. it wouldnt be a prob. removing pickups to add more"cushion" to level them,but if it doesnt matter i wont fool with it,any info. thanx!

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    The pickups are supposed to be tilted.

Here´s some info from MrGearhead

Pickups

Setting pickups too high can cause a number of unusual occurrences. Depress strings at last fret. Using 6" ruler, measure the distance from the bottom of the 1st and 4th strings to top of the pole piece. Rule of thumb--distance should be greatest at the 4th string neck pickup and closest at the 1st string bridge position. Follow the measurement guidelines from the chart as starting points. The distance will vary according to the amount of magnetic pull of the pickup. Note: Larger gauges of strings need wider vibrational allowances. If you have a 5-string bass or are using a heavier gauge of string, your measurements will need to be increased accordingly.

More info is right here -> MrGearhed Bass setup page

3. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    thanks for reply ivar...what i mean is the pickups are positioned/tilted towards the bridge,i know about the pickups being adjusted for "height" this is not the problem ..its like there isnt enough cushion to make the pickup parallel with the strings...maybe if i took a pic..you'll see what i mean..

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ahh, I get it!

I don´t think that it is abnormal to have them tilted towards the bridge. IMHO it helps in creating different sound when you are playing near the bridge.

This is my opinion at least, if I am wrong then please correct me :)

5. Personally that kind of thing bugs me because it seems like it would similiar to someone singing into the side of a microphone. It would make sense that you would want as much of the pickup as possible directly facing the string to get the strongest signal. I would re-cushion the thing.