1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup height settings on Ric 4003S.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mo Boogs, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Just replaced the bridge cover with a nice cove bezel. Of course this changed the pickup height and I didn’t measure it before removing. Is there a standard set of measurements from the top of the pickups to the bottom of the strings for the bridge and neck pickups for that classic ric sound?

Gluvhand likes this.
  2. I installed the same bezel recently and just did it by ear. Maybe someone in the Ric club has real numbers.

3. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Right on. I raised my bridge up a hair tonight and it’s starting to sound mint. What I noticed is if I don’t get the bridge high enough it’s gotta ton of mids but no “bite”. Is neck pup gonna sound muddy and not as pumpin as a J bass nomatter what? That’s something else I’ve noticed with the Ric.

4. I don’t think you’re ever going to get a Ric to sound like anything but a Ric. You might get close but...

5. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Oh yeah that’s fine with me. I love that ric tone. Seems to me like bridge full on at 12 and neck at 10 and it’s geddy Lee all day long.

Gluvhand likes this.