Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup Height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rafterman, Nov 22, 2001.

1. I was wondering if pickup height can affect tone.

I'm not talking volume from string to string, but just tone.
    Will adjusting the height of the neck and bridge pickups give me a different tone?
    For some people that have the answer to this question, can you guys tell me what kind of pickup height "configurations" there are and what changes in tone can they give?

-thanks

2. Finn

Finn

Nov 20, 2001
    I think it will affect. You can make the sound softer or harder.

3. c'mon now!!!:rolleyes:

more specifics please!:D

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pickup height is probably the most overlooked adjustment on a bass.

Not only does it greatly affect volume and playability, it can make the difference (on a bass with an preamp) between presently an optimal signal to the peamp and barely getting it going.

You may have noticed that when you dig in on a bass, it not only gives you more volume but there can also be tonal changes of the hard to describe type, like growl.

I keep my pickups close to the strings, play with a light touch and don't have to work really hard to get what for me is my optimal sound. That's another bonus of setting the height right.

5. I was always told to adjust my P-style p/u's at a slant with the uppermost part in the middle. I'm not sure what kind of a difference it makes, but the music guy told me it sounded better.

6. yes it takes affect it´s still answered by physic.
    your pickups consists of magnets which have a great influence to your steel or nickel strings.
    if you make your pu higher then the oscillation of your strings will finish faster because they are braked by the magnet.
    on an electric guitar you shpuld make the pu as high as possible(fender lace sensor), because they haven´t a great amplitude and the magnet field iis lower but on an electric bass, where the strings have a higher amplitude you should have a distance of 4 - 7 mm but it depends on the pickups(magnets).
    write down your e-mail address and i´ll send you a copy of the fender manual about the string high.

7. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    [I was always told to adjust my P-style p/u's at a slant with the uppermost part in the middle. I'm not sure what kind of a difference it makes, but the music guy told me it sounded better.]

On a P pickup this is to follow the curvature of the neck.