Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 11, 2002.

1. What is the recommended distance between the strings and the pickups? I have a five string Carvin with Jazz style pups. My B string is a little muddy and I remember hearing you should have plenty of space between the B and the pickup.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It really depends on the pickups.

I like mine as close to the strings as possible to be able to "play the pickup".

Experiment until you get it right. But in most cases I`ve found it's not the pickups that are at fault.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    On my 4-string Fender P, I have my pickups set so that the top of the pickup is about an eighth-of-an-inch (maybe a hair more) below the bottom of the strings. Obviously, that means that the E side of my pickup is lower than the A side and the D side is higher than the G side (to match the contour of the fretboard). Works for me!

4. My bass was sounding like crap. i played and played with the settings and never found a sound i liked. rather than choosing the sound i wanted, i was wrestling all the treble i could out of it. finally i got sick of it. i ripped the bass apart (during a musical rehearsal) not really knowing what i wanted to do to it. i tried to raise the pickups, and they didn't move, so between acts ripped the pickups out and turned the foam chunks 90 degrees to get some more 'push' out of them. then i screwed the pickups back in place, but a little higher than before...........sounded like a brand new bass. i was grinning for a week. i couldn't believe the difference it made. now i get a great growl.....like i should...

in short, pickup height can make all the difference.