Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by npbassman, Jul 23, 2002.

1. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hello,

I don't know if this should be in the technique group but I have a problem that involves my pickups. I know that the pickups shouldn't be too far away from the strings but whenever I set them at the optimal height (about mid way between the body and strings), my fingers touch the the tops of the pickups and it really throws me off during fast passages. So, I lower them enough to clear my plucking and I'm fine. However, I know that I am losing valuable tone by having them that low. I tried to change my plucking technique and change my right hand positioning but I always go back to what positions work for me and that's to pluck over the bridge pickup. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,

MikeMy band Slam!

2. Does it still sound good to you? If it does, then there's no problem. Keep 'em low. I myself like them almost flush with the body.

Rock on
    Eric

3. stefen

stefen

Jul 21, 2002
    FRANCE
    Don't know if it helps but I heard the best distance was 6mm between Pup & Strings ;o)
    Personnaly I've got an active SD Bassline Humbucker at 4-5mm from strings, Big Power but I've learnt to control the attack or I catch some irritating bugs, but 99% of time it's OK beacause I4ve practised a lot: follow your instinct and your ears ;o)

Stefen

4. Keep them low, and you'll get better sustain. The magnets won't pull the string to center as quickly.

5. i say keep'em high. you get more sound out of them. i wrestled with my bass settings for months, never getting the sound i wanted. couldn't drag enough high-end out of the thing. raised the pickups as close to the strings as possible without hitting them on a regular basis, and it's like a brand new bass.

MIM jazz, by the way.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I keep mine fairly high.. however you probably won't leave them level.. it differs from bass to bass.. but i've lowered the pickups on one side of my bass because it seemed to pick up the higher strings than it did the lower ones.. thats not really all that uncommon.. right now on my elrick the pickups are pretty much even.. and kind of high.. i think i may lower them a bit.. we shall see