pickup height?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kirby, Apr 3, 2003.

1. kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    I have this problem, my homemade (solidstate) amp has recently started giving this farty distorted sound at higher volumes (quite nice effect for some songs :)). Noticed that my pickups are very close to strings (p is 5mm from the string and j is 4mm from the string) that kinda sound only happens when i play harder. Im guessing that maybe its too much output...
    If that, how high should i set the p/j pickups??? It might be the speaker but i cant have it checked until next week.
  2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    It depends on how hard you dig in the strings. I would recomend that you lower them just a bit, and see if that gets rid of the distortion. If not, lower them a little more, and repeat until you get the sound you want at any volume.
  3. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    This should get you in the ballpark...sounds like your PUPs are too close to the strings.....

Measurements for both front and rear PUPS are the same. While depressing the E string at the last fret, measure the distance from the bottom of that string to the top of each PUP magnet for that string. Adjust for a distance of 4/32 inches. Do the same with the G string but, this time, aim for a distance of 3/32 inches. As the p PUP is split, the two inner adjustments would have to be measured 4/32 inches from the A and D strings respectively, while depressing those two strings at the last fret. Final adjustment may have to be made to the G side by ear, so that the volume is even across all strings.

Cheers. :bassist:
  4. kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    Thanks guys, i lowered them a bit and it really helped. I dont want to be anal but: 1 inch = 2.49 cm but how do i go with the 3/32 inches, i guess its not 3.32 inch :eek: :D
  5. kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    ooooooooooops, stupid me...
    I figured it, didn't know that 1 inch has 32 sub-units. so 3/32 inches would be about 5 mm. I already lowered the pickups by 1mm so im fine...
    Now i can play like :bassist:
    Thanks again