Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup Height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bubbles, May 16, 2003.

1. Okay, How do you guys set up your pickup height?
    I've been fiddling around with it trying to cure a problem i have. My slaps on the d string don't come out at all. E and A come out fine but when i slap on the d in a band situation you can't hear it at all. Is this just a fact of bassing? or can i fix it somehow thought setup or technique? But all this aside, i still need to know the proper way to set pickup height.
    Thanks

2. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    1/8" from the pickup to the bottom of the string. (in fact my EMG soapbars are much closer than that thanks to EMG's weaker magnets)

How is your G? Did you try to change your strings? a dead string can cause such problem.

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Too much bass in you EQ is the first thing Ill think about if your boosting bass to get that sound you can make so you upper 2 strings are in audible.

technique, Im really going through a major slap over haul and one thing Im thinking about a bunch is lighting up alot.Im mean alot. The other thing is to avoid choking the note you need to slap in a slight downward motion so depending on the length and such of a note Ill either strike dirrectly toward the fretboard (percussive)or downward and it seems to be more accentuated on the upper strings.

I dont think its the strings while Im the first to addmit new string make the whole technique easier (exspecially slapping the g string) I play dead as doornail strings all the time (cause I practice too much and only justify new string once a month) I feel the technique is less forgiveing but cirtainly dooable on dead strings.

Oh yah, a little compression might help

AJ

4. Well, you, see, i don't usually slap the g string ever, but i know that it's about the same situation with it. I dont' think it's that my strings are dead, but maybe. They just don't give a fat spank when i slap them, liek the bottom two do. But i'll see what i can do. Thanks for your input.