Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup Height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nerdcore, Jun 9, 2003.

1. nerdcore

nerdcore

May 12, 2002
    I am using SD Quarter Pounders in my P Bass. I have a 375W Genz Benz head. I was wondering when adjusting pickup height, should I simply bring the magnets as close to the strings as possible as long as the amps don't clip?

Also I find myself having to plug into the ACTIVE input on my head to avoid clipping.

2. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    i don't think you want them that close to the string, as the magnets will actually dampen the vibration of the string. probably a quarter inch away from teh string minimum.

also on a P-Bass, you want the pickups to follow the radius of the fingerboard/strings so the the PUPs should be at an angle like /\ this, and not flat, otherwise the E and G strings will be a little louder than the A and D strings.

3. yes tilt them
    fender give 6/64 bottom of G D to polepieces and 8/64 ditto A E
    with strings fretted at 20/21 fret....this is a guideline but works fine and no drag no clipping and plenty clean fresh output with good highs..
    :)

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    That's about how I setup mine... excellent advice!

-robert