Pickup heights

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, May 19, 2001.

1. When I lower the action on my bass, should I also lower my pickups in order to not overload the signal? *shrugs*
  2. See how it sounds balls, if you are speaking about the warwick go for it. just keep track of the turns you make so you can put it back to exactly where it was before you did it. One of the first things I did with my thumb bass was to turn the pickups as far into the body as possible. They were a little to high for the tone I like and to high for me to rest my thumb on for finger style.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Also remember - depending on your particular bass, some people, (like me), leave the G-E string side of the pickup a tad higher than the side of the pickup that "sees" the thicker strings. Of course, this depends on how much your bridge/saddles are compensating for the string diameters.
  4. Having the pups too close to the strings will tend to dampen their vibrations. The magnetic field of the pups is strong enough to restrict the vibrations of the strings so making them sound dead to a greater or lesser degree.

There is, I believe, a proper name for this effect but it escapes me right now.