1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup help! i hate my Bartolini's!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phunku, Mar 12, 2008.

1. phunku

phunku

Jan 9, 2008
    London, England
    hey guys, i have a lefty MIM Jazz bass, that i love, but i put some bartolini's in there, and i really cant stand the sound now.

I am extremelly Tempted to rip out the neck pickup and put in a P Bass pickup. I love the sound of Dimarzio PUPs, as i have read about them. thinking bout either The model P or the Split P! I really want a deep, but growling tone, kinda like Timmy C on the chorus of im housin'! with nuff low mids. and feel the barts dont cut it.

If u guys could give me some advice that would be sweet As! this my First Post! woooo
    Smell :D

2. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    try a sansamp for tone shaping.

3. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
  4. robnatt

robnatt

Sep 14, 2005
    Tim plays a Jazz Bass in the video. If you want tone like him, I wouldn't switch to a P style pickup.

What is the rest of your setup?

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I love the SansAmp *but* if I don't like the sound of a bass straight into an amp with the EQ set flat then I know I need to change something until it's good. Tone shaping (for me) is for setting up expressions and moods, not to fix serious tonal deficiencies.

6. phunku

phunku

Jan 9, 2008
    London, England

but i lovve the p bass sound man! love it baby! love other peeple like georgee porter jr and the guy from the commodores!

my setup is 12 inch mark bass combo, boss overdrive, and ernie ball, or rotosound nickel strings

7. Rewire your pickups to be in series, then.

8. easy easy easy, DiMarzio Model J :)

9. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Why not pick up an SX P bass or something inexpensive like that? Then you'd have a P and a J, the best of both worlds!

10. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Which Barts did you put in the J? I have some Classics in mine and just love them. btw - also changed the pots out to 500ks and it is sweet and silent!
    David

11. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    The first step with good tone is your pickups. If your not happy with your basic tone, you wont be happy with your processed tone.

Seymour Duncan 'Quarter Pounder' pickups are a very good choice for the neck pickup.

12. phunku

phunku

Jan 9, 2008
    London, England

Hmm i was thinking about them, but wot about the Ultra Jazz pickups on the Dimarzio website, u know if they any good?

13. phunku

phunku

Jan 9, 2008
    London, England
    hmm, i hanvt heard great tings bout quarter pounders! i researsh man! cheers

14. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    lol...funny how everyone has different tastes and opinions. I just put bart single coils into my jazz and love them. replaced my old Quarter pounders (which I loved as well). Both pickups are great.

best wishes on your tone search. if you're curious about how quarter pounders sit in a mix...www.myspace.com/cloudchase and listen to "HERE" ...tracked it with my jazz bass loaded with QPs.