pickup help, please ???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by abriemzh, Apr 6, 2005.

1. i want to build a bass that has a warm round sound, but want it to have clarity also, my plan is mahogany body with maple-rosewood neck. the only thing that im still confused is about the pickups, i have tried EMG's (P-bass and DC) but im not satisfied with them, they are too hi-mid rangy and very high top, but they dont have the tight bottom low.
    i live in indonesia (south east asia), so i dont have many option for the pickup.
    the choises are (until now) :
    - bassline ajj-1 active jazz pickup
    - bartolini bc4c-set
    - cheap select pickups from EMG

could anyone help me with my problem??? :rolleyes:
    i would appreciate any help, thanx ;)
  2. no comments on the pickups ???? :bag:
  3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Bartolini is probably going to have the best warmth, although I have not tried the Basslines. Stay away from the Select pickups.
  4. I agree that Bartolini's are a 'safe choice'... very 'down the middle' sound and quiet. You can't really go wrong there. I really like the Aero dual-coils at the moment. When you wire them so that you can switch from single to dual coil mode, you have a very, very versatile pick-up. The single coil mode gives you that true 'old school late 60's early 70's JBass vibe... along with the pickup buzz!). The dual coil mode is very warm and similar to the best of the Bartolini's.
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

the Barts will be as quiet as actives, give you a choice of active and/or passive onboard operations, and passively you have wiring options not available to active pickups. I've had LOTS of Barts but not those in particular. Closest being the 9cbjd's probably. Different models of Barts can sound a LOT different - some don't even sound like Barts. Even so, of the over 50 sets of pups I've had from various maunfacturers, if I had to be stuck with one set of pups to be picked blindfolded from a random assortment from a single manufacturer, I'd have them lead me to the Bart bin.

I've had several sets along the lines of the SD ajj-1's, PJ's with both the 2 and 3 dip switches and a set of J's with 3 dips. Been a long time and it was before I started writing reviews so no distinct memory except there were decent pups. The dips on the face was a great idea I thought and really added diversity of tone at the fingertips. I recall these pups being more Fenderish. The SD Lightn'n rods didn't do anything for me. The active Steve Bailey fretless pups I keep a set of. The Barts in gereral would likely be darker with more bottom end and a soft rounded top.

But you've got a computer which means you've got access to ebay which means you can get any pup you want. Shipping pups is not like shipping a 4x10 cab. I've shipped pups to Australia, Japan, and Netherlands for $5 global. If the seller says US shipping only (which I do too), email him and ask if you can bid. If you have a paypal account that garauntees funds, probably half the time the seller will say fine. I have people contact me periodically and it's no big deal - if they pay through paypal and they can communicate in English well if enough for us to communicate effectively.
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Maybe you'd get more comments on the subforum dedicated to Pick-ups. Maybe a mod will move your thread there.