Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Apr 24, 2004.

1. I own an Ibanez GSR 200 (shutup ;) ) with a P and a J pickup, a volume knob and two tone knobs. I recently noticed that one of my pickups is no longer working (I can't say I know which one for sure, but one of my tone knobs does nothing now). I opened up my bass and it is very easy to see why it is not working properly. The knob which is not working has what looks like a capacitor attached to it as well as one wire. Both of these are broken off at the other end and I have no idea where they are supposed to be attached.

I was hoping that someone may be able to help me with this problem, although I realize that may be difficult without actually seeing the bass. If that is not possible, does anyone know where I might find a wiring diagram for this bass? I find them hard to interpret, but it could be useful.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Sounds like the J pup volume its out. But there's more than one wire. The capacitor runs from the (looking down) left lug of the J volume to the center lug of the tone pot. You've got a yellow hotwire from the J pup running to the center lug of it's volume pot. Then there's a green casing containing a ground running between volume pots (to pot backs) and a small white wire that runs to the left lug of each volume pot. Which would make it connect jointly with the capacitor of the J pot.

3. This is really strange. From your description and the wiring diagrams it is fairly clear how this thing should be wired. However, I don't think I can fix it because there are a lot more wires shown in the diagram than are actually in my bass...I'm starting to think that it was never wired properly in the first place :confused: . There are about five connections shown in the diagram that don't exist in my bass.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

first time I've checked that out and that's a pretty impressive wiring site. Interestingly, not how my Ibe's were wired.