1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Apr 24, 2004.

1. I own an Ibanez GSR 200 (shutup ;) ) with a P and a J pickup, a volume knob and two tone knobs. I recently noticed that one of my pickups is no longer working (I can't say I know which one for sure, but one of my tone knobs does nothing now). I opened up my bass and it is very easy to see why it is not working properly. The knob which is not working has what looks like a capacitor attached to it as well as one wire. Both of these are broken off at the other end and I have no idea where they are supposed to be attached.

I was hoping that someone may be able to help me with this problem, although I realize that may be difficult without actually seeing the bass. If that is not possible, does anyone know where I might find a wiring diagram for this bass? I find them hard to interpret, but it could be useful.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Sounds like the J pup volume its out. But there's more than one wire. The capacitor runs from the (looking down) left lug of the J volume to the center lug of the tone pot. You've got a yellow hotwire from the J pup running to the center lug of it's volume pot. Then there's a green casing containing a ground running between volume pots (to pot backs) and a small white wire that runs to the left lug of each volume pot. Which would make it connect jointly with the capacitor of the J pot.

3. This is really strange. From your description and the wiring diagrams it is fairly clear how this thing should be wired. However, I don't think I can fix it because there are a lot more wires shown in the diagram than are actually in my bass...I'm starting to think that it was never wired properly in the first place :confused: . There are about five connections shown in the diagram that don't exist in my bass.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

first time I've checked that out and that's a pretty impressive wiring site. Interestingly, not how my Ibe's were wired.