Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassplayingfool, Feb 27, 2005.

1. I have an Ibanez Soundgear 6-string and I am getting a buzzing noise that sound like a bad ground. When I touch the knobs it goes away. If I replace the pickups will this get rid of the buzzing or do I need to maybe replace all the electronics?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

In all probability, if you had a bad ground the hum would get worse touching the strings.

Not much info for remote diagnosis.

Which pup or both pups hum?

Has it always hummed?

Are you're cranking trebles?

Having you got singles or HB's?

3. I notice it coming from both, I have humbuckers and I play with almost no treble because the buzz is too bad. It has been humming as long as I can think but it has gotten really really bad lately.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

You can guess and take shots in the dark but to trouble shoot efficiently you have to isolate the problem to identify it. Do you KNOW it's the bass and not your amp, cord, location, etc.

Once it's known the bass is the source, I'd wire the pups striaight to the jack. If it doesn't hum it's probably in between the pups and the jack, if it does hum it's probably either the pups or jack. Jacks are essentially a moving part and a common source of problem. I'd say it's remote that two HB pups would hum.

The most frequent problem is a cord for obvious reasons but players seem to overlook them.