Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup hum and stuff (new guy!)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spc, Jul 8, 2004.

1. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I am sure this is an ongoing topic here so bear with me a minute. I have a few jazz basses- 1 parts bass, 1 modified fender marcus miller and a Lakland Joe Osborn U.S.A. The parts jazz (all three are passive b.t.w) and the Marcus Miller have Lollar single coils, the Lakland has Lindy Fralins.
    They all make noise when pickups are soloed or I take my hand off of the strings. This is the buzz and 60 cycle hum everyone is talking about? I love the sound of the Lollars, but would humbucking pickups truly get rid of all that noise?
    I realize this is an ongoing topic as well, but how does everyone feel about the Dimarzio ultrajazz p/up's?
    I love the 2 basses with the Lollars so they are staying that way, buzz and all, and the Lakland jo is a beautiful, amazing bass (I had it converted to fretless at the Pedulla shop), but I hate the Fralin pickups. Noisy, trebly, clacky, tons of finger noise and squeak, awful high end. I realize they are supposed to be THE vint. replacement, but I'd rather give my money to Jason Lollar. Anybody else try his stuff?
    All that being said, I welcome any clarification on the buzz thing, and any thoughts on the ultrajazz p/ups for a nice round fretless thing, please pass them along.
    thanks

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you like the sound of your basses, then the best thing to do is shield them. Most likely this will take care of the noise without changing the sound.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think they're great sounding pickups, they've been described as scooped but the mid is rated 5/10 from Dimarzio. The bottom end is huge, which does make the mids sound slightly scooped in comparison - they have a great slap sound.
    For fingerstyle, there's not quite enough bite there for me, but that's just my taste.

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    As far as shielding them, is there something additional I can do? They are all grounded, bridge grounded, inside of cavitys painted...This must be a common problem without an easy solution because a lot of these websites warn you about the noise when you have the pickups at different volumes. Is shielding something else?
    Thanks for helping a noob!

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Copper foil is better than shielding paint, but shielding paint can work. You need to test the cavities and verify that there is an electrical connection between the shielding in the cavities and ground. You will need a ohmmeter or a multimeter to measure the resistance. This is important because it is possible that someone painted the cavities without making sure that they were connected to ground.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    This is correct, but the paint can be fairly effective. My Lakland Skyline is painted & has no noise.

7. Maybe you'll need to remove some groundloops ?
    Is the shielding connected to the ground ?
    Is everything "star" grounded ?

Check this site out : http://www.guitarnuts.com/index.php

8. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    thanks, I;ll check out some of that stuff, and that site..