Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup Hum Issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steers b-c, Sep 24, 2005.

1. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I just installed some Model J's in my American Standard Jazz to help deal with noise issues...and they've done nothing. I'm pretty sure I installed them correctly, although the lack of the diagram on their DiMarzio page leaves some room for error. Does anyone have a diagram I could use to check my work, or perhaps some suggestions as to why I'm still getting noise? Thanks in advance.

2. What sort of noise are you experiencing? I did the same swap in the same bass, and I've got some noise issues too. Probably just need some good shielding like me.

3. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    It's just a constant hum that increases drastically when I engage my distortion. Live I don't mind so much, but it is a real hassle in the studio.

Out of interest, what height do you have your pickups at? I've been toying with mine, but I'd like to hear the opinion of another... Thanks.

4. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Does this sound like a shielding problem, or should I continue to tinker with the pickup wiring? Thanks.