Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup idea

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nowhereian, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Has anyone ever tried putting the two coils of a P pickup on either side of a J pickup? I was thinking of wiring it as a separate P and J, and putting a passive MM in the bridge spot. I drew it out for visual and i rather like the look of it, but I wonder about the sound. Any ideas?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth,

you never know till you try. Personally, as yet, I haven't found a configuration with more than two pups to be of any practical value for me. But I haven't tried splitting P's with a J either.

Ideally, what I've found most useful is a few good, useful, options. When I've had a million options, I only used 3 of them anyway (when I could figure out where they were). One solid tone that works to a variety of styles I've found to be quite sufficient - in terms of actual play.

3. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I like the idea but I would reverse the P configuration. Looks cool.

4. one problem with that, you'd have to mod the J pickup to get the P's halves to sit right next to it...When you could take 2 P pickups and put them side by side....(color changed to show arrangement) or you could put them one standard style and one reverse(on a standard Pbass you could cover the (rout for the)reversed one up by changing the pickguard) and add a switch for the left, right or both...even series and parallel alignment....No modification no muss...little fuss...Good idea, but if you ever changed back the Jazz pickup would be useless...Endless possibilities...

DWB