1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickup idea

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nowhereian, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Has anyone ever tried putting the two coils of a P pickup on either side of a J pickup? I was thinking of wiring it as a separate P and J, and putting a passive MM in the bridge spot. I drew it out for visual and i rather like the look of it, but I wonder about the sound. Any ideas?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth,

you never know till you try. Personally, as yet, I haven't found a configuration with more than two pups to be of any practical value for me. But I haven't tried splitting P's with a J either.

Ideally, what I've found most useful is a few good, useful, options. When I've had a million options, I only used 3 of them anyway (when I could figure out where they were). One solid tone that works to a variety of styles I've found to be quite sufficient - in terms of actual play.

3. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I like the idea but I would reverse the P configuration. Looks cool.

4. one problem with that, you'd have to mod the J pickup to get the P's halves to sit right next to it...When you could take 2 P pickups and put them side by side....(color changed to show arrangement) or you could put them one standard style and one reverse(on a standard Pbass you could cover the (rout for the)reversed one up by changing the pickguard) and add a switch for the left, right or both...even series and parallel alignment....No modification no muss...little fuss...Good idea, but if you ever changed back the Jazz pickup would be useless...Endless possibilities...

DWB