Pickup installing problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bentem, Mar 6, 2004.

1. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I just bought a duncan vintage p-bass pickup. i got it all wired in, but the old pickups have the two magnetic rails epoxied on the bottom of the pickup, and a piece of dense foam keeping it from falling into the bass, out of the pickup cover.

The new pickups don't have the magnets or the foam, just little rubber tubes that go over the screws.

Is there a peice missing, or something else to buy?
  2. if the magnets aren't there, you most likely don't need them.

the foam just pushes up on the pickup, so that if you loosen the pickup screws, the pickup actually raises. the rubber tubes on the screws do the same thing, but will likely last longer.
  3. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks for the reply,

I seems like the rubber tubes are just holdoing up the pickup covers, not the actual pickup, and the pickup keeps falling out of the covers. am i using the rubber tubes wrong?
  4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Sounds like you installed the rubber tubes in the wrong place. I prefer just using the thick closed cell foam rubber weatherstrip tape (3/8" THK x 1/2" wide w/adhesive on one side). Just cut a couple of pieces slightly shorter than the PU and installing them in the pickup cutout in the body. You'll probably have to install 2 pieces on top of each other to get the required tension to properly raise/lower the PU. You can get the weatherstrip tape at any hardware store.
  5. It seems odd to me that the pickup isn't attached to the cover........

and i use cut up pieces of mouse pad to hold up my pickups.