Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup issues

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by petie-b, Oct 30, 2005.

1. petie-b

petie-b

Aug 24, 2005
    orlando, florida
    Hi guys and gals,
    I have a custom 4 string status currently running an active pj pup arrangement by schaller, but im looking for a more aggressive tone.
    I was thinking about replacing the pickups with bartolini items.
    Any opinions on this plan would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, what is the general felling about "select by EMG" pups.
    cheers

2. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    EMG Select are the cheaper and more economic pickups that are produced offshore.

many claim that Barts are not really that aggressive.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Most pups are either aggressive or not depending on how they're played. Although some pups with some rigging and strings you can adjust and bang away all you want and you'll never get much beyond smooth jazz. I've had lots of Barts (including PJs) and they're not pups you have to fight to pull the reigns in on. Signature Bart tone is typically soft, rounded, hi-fi in nature, and so not inherently aggressive - but again it depends on the setup, adjustment, and how they're played. I've ran across numerous associations to Barts as aggressive pups.

There are lots of reviews on Barts on the net. Just do a google search on Bartolini pickup reviews.

Emg selects I've never had and have read mixed reviews on - but they would definetly be a lot cheaper.

4. petie-b

petie-b

Aug 24, 2005
    orlando, florida
    cheers for info, i will search away and see what i can find.

5. petie-b

petie-b

Aug 24, 2005
    orlando, florida
    Im a bit confused with the active/passive situation, can any pickup be wired into an active circuit or do you have to use active-only pickups.

Im looking for a punchy hard rock/metal sound, any suggestions as to what pickups i should go for.

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

As opposed to thinking of Barts as a single sounding product you may want to look for some reviews of their different products.
    I definitely got a more aggressive tone out of an older Yamaha by replacing its pickups with some Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders! :D

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

You're not alone. Most basses have preamps (active circuitry) with passive pickups so there is some form of passive operation - if properly wired -for more tone variation and so there's sound regardless of what happens to the elecronics. Active pickups have preamps built into them and all that is needed is a battery clip and harness. An additional onboard preamp allows for more tone control. Both passive and active pups can be used with an onboard preamp.

Rarely are there issues with pup/preamp mismatches. But if you're going to use the stock Status pre, I would contact Status (think his name his Bob - Green maybe?). Anyway, he can tell you if there's anything wierd about it. I know from time to time, Status has had issues with both their preamps and active pickups. In fact I've got a Status 2 band sitting in a drawer that is amiss. It's not uncommon for preamps to bail after about 10 years. It is uncommon before then.

Again tone has a lot of factors involved. See what guys are playing through that play the music you like, especially local live bands you like the bass sound. There you can talk to the bass player and KNOW and see what he's playing through. Pro's who know's - only they really know what they're playing through (and probably some of them don't know themselves - this is what I want it to do, and I need it by Friday).