Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup loudness

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Feb 26, 2005.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    hi, i replaced my mim pickups for the custom 60´s and i have the feeling that they are quieter than the stock ones, witch seems wierd, the tone its better, but i was thinking that, MAYBE, since i had no expirience in pickups replacing i could have screwed something... somehow... :(

first, the 60´s custom have a grounding plate in every pick up, i put it with the copper touching the pick up and the foam against the body... is it ok? because someone told me i want the plate touching the body and the foam touching the pickup... witch way its the right one?

in second place, i soldered the pickup´s balck wire and the wire from the grounding plates to the pots body, but i thought that my poor soldering technique might have something to do with the lack of volume, maybe i should cut the wires to make them shorter instead of folding them and keeping all the wire length stuck inside the control cavity....

and at last but not least i have booth the cooper string from the bridge pickup and the cable that runs through a body hole grounding the bridge, because i guessed it didnt matter and i didnt wanna take out none of them, meanwhile my nearly inexistance electrical knoledge told me it was ok, but could the "2 cables better than one" thing explain why i am getting a weaker tone in the bridge pickup than in the body one... AND WHATS A JAZZ BASS WITHOUT ITS BRIDGE GROWL!!!

so, main idea... did i just did something wrong and my lack of volume, aparently... , and the bridge pickup tone weakness are the way i am paying for it?

anyhelp would be welcome
    :help:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

interesting description but from what I can gather, it sound's close enough to work correctly - not sure about the bridge wire thing. The bridge pickup will typically have about 1/3 the output of the neck by virtue of it's location.

I've had neither of the pups you reference but Smash has had them both to my knowledge, you might email him about the output (And you might even get a response :)

First I would check the spacing between your pups and the strings. Raising the pups will increase output - if too high they may distort or you may drive the strings into them.

However, I would not be suprised if the CS's have less output than the MIMs cause output of a pup reflects tone - very unlikely hi output pups could produce the tone a CS would shoot for. In accord, it's very likely an MIM would have higher output as it's marketed to novice players who are inclined to play through lower wattage amps where output is more paramount.