1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pickup mic combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by xacharias, Mar 6, 2008.

1. xacharias

xacharias

Oct 16, 2007
    im looking for a new setup for my upright. does anyone know of a good system that has a mic and a piezo pickup, with a preamp that lets you blend the two. the only one they have in the lemus catalog is the K&K Golden Trinity Bass Max System
    http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/lemurmusic/prodinfo.asp?number=A1423
    has anyone used this or a different one? thanks

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I used that K&K set up for a while. I have changed pickups and mics a few times since then. It's hard to compare any stages in my gear progression to the K&K, because I think my technique and my knowledge of how to use a mic have both improved a lot since then. That's really key to getting a good amplified sound. But IMO and from what I remember it wasn't bad. I'd consider it sort of an entry level pickup + mic combo system. There may well be some mid- and upper- tier players using it and getting a better sound out of it than I do with my more expensive gear.

If you have a two-channel head, or are willing to consider a two channel mixer/blender like the K&K stereo preamps, the Radial Bassbone or the D-TAR Solstice, you can mix and match LOTS more different pickup and mic combinations.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would agree on those points. I have a Golden Trinity system here, but I don't often use it. It is a good way to get into blending 2 signals(mic and pickup) together, but its not as good as using a high quality blender like the Raven Labs(no longer made), or the Solstice. For the money, I think it is a good system though.

4. xacharias

xacharias

Oct 16, 2007
    how easy would it be to use my underwood and get the upgrade system. would that work/sound good? also im confused about the signal path on the output. you can either blend the mic and pickup or send them to separate outputs?

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I used on for a while with very good results. I don't anymore just because I wanted to simplify my setup. I think for the price it is great.

I used the upgrade with Realist. Basically there is a loose 1/4" plug attached to the mic. You plug the pickup in to that then a stereo 1/4" (provided) carries the signals of both the pickup and the mic to the pre/blender.

Biggest thing is mess with the internal eq trim pots and the placement of the mic. I ended up mounting it to the tailpiece and positioning the mic between the feet of the bridge. I think I ended up with the treble on the mic turned down and I had to mess with the gain trim pots to get the volumes to match well.

Remember that a mic feeds back. I never had much success running this mic solo but I think it did a really nice job adding air to my sound. Check out the video clips on my website. I'm using that setup on those.

Have fun.

6. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I just got the upgrade system to combine with my Underwood. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to play with it yet, and won't until early next week. I have high hopes for the combination, though.

Yes, the output is exactly as you say. You can use the main output (the one on the left) alone, and it sends the blended signal. If you plug something in to the mic output, though, it removes the mic from the main out. At that point, you have the pickup going through the main output, and the mic going through the center output.

I should have time to play with it in rehearsal Monday or Tuesday. I'll be using this on a gig next Wednesday if all goes well, so I can give a report then. Sorry it won't be sooner!

Cheers

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I used the K&K for a while. The Golden Bullet microphone is good, considering the price, but the design of the pre-amp/mixer is, well, awful! I had a devil of a time tweaking the gain of the op-amps (trim-pots inside) and the level controls on the outside to try to avoid overload. I never really succeeded. Hit the E-string hard and it would distort. That is, unless the mic was moved unacceptably far from the body of the bass such that the sound suffered and feedback became a problem. Having designed more op-amp circuits than I can recall, it was easy to see that K&K cut one too many corners.