Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup - mic effect ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by trilobeat, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Need a help on this: my MTD Grendel produces a lot of screeching noises and clicking during playing on it. It doesn't come from my fingers but from just touching the bass body, movements of the bass during the playing, movements of the strap and so on. My friend told me it is the microphone effect of pickups, but no advice how to avoid it...

Are the pickups (Bartolini pasive JJ) connected in a wrong way ?

Should be the pickups somehow isolated ?

Any other reason ?

Please, your opinions on this, thanks....

2. YoryoBass

YoryoBass

Oct 19, 2005
    are the pickups new or second hand?

when a pickup starts working as a mic and yo can hear the radio on your amp, or the band playing near, it's a sign of replace pickups...

I've seen it a lot of times on a lot of pickups, but recently on a 67' fretless jbass original by fender with the original '67 pickups on it...

3. the pickups are brand new Barts...

...it cannot be the case

nevertheless, thanks for your opinion

4. It does sound like the p/ups have gone microphonic on you. I believe all it means is that some of the coils have become a bit loose or something like that. I'm not an expert, someone else will correct me soon I'm sure.

If this is the case, the treatment is dipping them in wax... you could probably find info by searching for "potting pickups".

5. The pickups are embedded in some plastic, I see no use in dipping them in wax...

6. not plastic but epoxy...sorry

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would agree. I had the same problem with some jazz style pickups. They might not necessarily have to be old or heavily used, but a bad one might have slipped through the cracks.

8. but both two pups at the same time ?

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You've played each pickup solo and heard the sound each time?

10. yes, there is a volume knob for each pickup, it is the same problem for both of them (with different sound, of course).

I will try to wax them but I dont know if it makes any sense if they are embedded.

well, they have exposed poles so maybe some wax can flow in along the poles...

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hmm... I will say that your bass is haunted.

12. it sounds so :meh:

13. It's not impossible for both p/ups to have gone microphonic... it's certainly happened to me before, although I'd expect it more from the cheaper ones I had than from Barts. Were the p/ups / bass new or used?

14. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    It's too late to pot them I'd think, and even if it isn't don't do it. If they're brand new return them for replacements, it sounds like you were just sold a faulty set.

15. I tried to pot them with no effect, have to replace them... :bawl: