Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup mounting - styles, hardware

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bholder, Sep 8, 2001.

1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire, but not an "endorsing artist".* (see sig)
    I'm going to be mounting P and J style pickups in a couple of basses that were designed for other pickups, I'm trying to figure out how to mount them. Are they typically mounted to the pickguard, or to the body? It'd been a while since I've had the opportunity to look at how the pickups are mounted in a P bass. It's pretty clear that J style pickups are meant to mount to the body (since there's often no pickguard, at least for the bridge pickup) The tabs on the P bass pickup seem to be too thick for pickguard mounting, unless I got fancy with some sort of frame in back.

Any pointers? It looks like stewmac has all of the pieces, I'm just not visualizing how they should fit together. I guess I just get some springs, put them on the screws under the pickups, then screw into the body?

2. If you're going to be putting in pups that dont fit, you might have to rout out the correct shpre for the pups, which, by the way, do screw into the body, not the pickup guard. Routing a guitar can be difficult and therefore dangerous to the bass, so you might want to have a luthier do it for you. Unless you are a good wood worker, in which case I wish you luck.

Rock on
    Eric

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire, but not an "endorsing artist".* (see sig)
    Thanks. The ones I am most familiar with either attach via mounting rings or to the pickguard, but in looking at the new pickup, there's really no other way to mount it than into the body.

Yes, I will have to do some very minor routing on the first project (don't laugh, a 70s Peavey T40, hey, I'm used to it), the existing cavity is not quite wide enough, I need another 1/4" or so, but I can handle that, and I'm certain it won't affect the body.

I was considering another project that would take a little more effort and routing (adding a J bass pickup to my old shortscale Fender Musicmaster, I know it's not worth the effort, but I'm having fun!), but I've decided to hold off on that for a while until I have the other project done. I probably will go ahead and do some routing on the Musicmaster to put a P-Bass in, but that'll be under the pickguard, so I'm not too worried about that.

4. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    If you have a router already Stew-Mac (www.stewmac.com) has routing templates for most of the common pickup shapes, including the Jazz and P-Bass. They also have the ball bearing cutters to work with the templates.