1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup (neck) Cover on an MIM?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Aug 5, 2012.

1. I'm looking to add a pickup cover on my fretless MIM Jazz to match the bridge cover), but know that the routing beneath the right side of the neck pickup makes for a hollow spot; would the screw through the pickguard be enoug to secure this, along with the upper screw set in the wood--or, is there some other way of securing the cover?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The screw into the PG will hold it. Mine does.

PB070027.

3. Beautiful bass and color! I like the numbered controls; I have a '97 Jazz with them. I will give it a try!

4. It seems to work on my Squier VM J alright. SurferJoe46 did a thing with his that involved him screwing in a piece of wood (looked like a section of a wooden thumb rest) in the appropriate spot in the rout under the pickguard as a backup. I myself don't think that's absolutely necesssary, just mounting it to the PG seems to work.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd consider either installing a dowel or other piece of wood under there, or scoring an extra-long screw with the same-sized head, so the cover (which will get pushed on in the course of normal handling) is held by more than a pickguard screw into 3/32" of plastic.

6. I install mine with the screws without any drill.
    [​IMG]

7. Wow! Sweet looking bass; love the red tort guard! Looks like a BAII and metal knobs? Looks great.

8. Thanks, I install everything. Has basslines pickups. Maybe this week I will change the neck to make fretted and try how he sound. because I use one the bridge to play fretless.