Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup noise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MTD4ME, Aug 12, 2004.

1. MTD4ME

MTD4ME

Jul 31, 2004
    I just got a bartolini pick up and preamp installed on my bass and although it kicks like a mule, Im noticing some static very low when using a compressor on my ME50B. Is this common for active pickups? I have the noise surpressor turned on, on the ME50 but when I play lightly I can slightly hear some noise. Any thoughts? thanks

2. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    You said "static". If it's static it's coming from a grounding issue. Take it back and let the person that installed it hear it.

3. MTD4ME

MTD4ME

Jul 31, 2004
    it kinda sounds like a slight crackling noise

4. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Most pickups will play some static, it comes from you moving your hands building up ions that discharge and makes that sound. Try playing with you right hand only touching the string and see if you still hear it.

I have found a few ways to live with it. Plastic pick gaurds will make tons of static electricity when you rub them while playing. washing them with a damp soapy cloth and letting it dry without rinsing it helps prevent it from picking up a charge from your hands. This will sound crazy, but playing while wearing rubber sole shoes (tennis shoes) makes this problem worse, especially in winter when the humidity is low.

you can also use conductive tape and hopfully some of the techs on this forum will step in and explain how to do this properly.

With all that said: It might just be that the guy that installed your active pickups forgot to check the ground fully from the base of the bridge. If your strings are "floating" above ground potential they will make static no matter what you do. So, check the ground. Bridge - Pickup - back of pots - output jack all should be the same ground in an unbroken chain.

Mike

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ouch. Are you absolutely sure it's coming from the pickups? One place where staticky sounds are often introduced is in the pots. Pots that are dirty will often crackle, and even small movements of the instrument can make the wipers move just enough to give you a little scratchiness.

Two experiments that might be worth doing: one is, get a "very short" instrument cable (a new one, like maybe three to six feet long), and see if the static is still there.

The other experiment would be, remove the compressor from the system, turn all your volume controls all the way up, and see if you still hear the static.

6. MTD4ME

MTD4ME

Jul 31, 2004
    excellent tips guys, much appreciated.