1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup noob needs help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pan1k, Aug 10, 2012.

1. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I need to replace the pickups / preamp on my MM jazz.

I'm looking for noiseless active jazz pickup. Preferably vintage, maybe 70s voiced.

2. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Friendly advice, there's a HUGE sticky about pickups posted up top. Loads of info on single coil or 'jazz' pickups from a bunch of different makers.

That being said, MOST pickups you'll find are passive and you'll need to install an active preamp into your MIM jazz which make take additional routing and thus more monies. EMG makes active pickups but they're not very vintage sounding IMO. Most of that vintage tone is gonna come from a standard passive pickup. I believe Fender does a set of 70s era replacement jazz pickups? If not look into Seymour Duncan Antiquities.

3. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    Like others have said, active is not really the vintage sound. If you want noiseless vintage try the Nordstrand NJ4SV or NJ4SE, the Fralin Split-Jazz Bass, or the DiMarzio Area J. All passive.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I put Fender SCN pickups in my MIM Deluxe jazz and have been VERY happy with them. I was going to do Nordies to get the vintage tone, but was balking at high price. SCNs seem to be getting harder to find, though.

Even though the bass is active you don't need active pickups. As others have said active EMGs are not very vintage. I've had them in the past and was not happy with them. (but they do have very low hum levels)