Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup options for carvin

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steriogenesis, Jan 30, 2003.

1. How does this sound....

A carvin B5 with tons of uprades (stock electronics/pickups) playing heavy metal.....Does it sound like it would work for a while....?

What kind of wood would fit that style?
    Mahogany?
    Koa?
    Walnut?
    Swamp Ash?

THEN AFTER A FEW MONTHS AND DOLLARS SAVED...

Looking for a warwick/musicman sound....punchy, snappy, slappy, great low end, snarrly highs....

-What if I put a SemDun MusicMan pickup in the back and an MEC J in front? Would that work well together for a Musicman/Warwick sound?
    What other pickup options are suggested for a neck j/ bridge humbucker for that sound?

-What would I do about electronic upgrades?

Carvin provides the options that I want (left-handed, wood choices, upgrades, customizable...) But the electronics and pickups might just be a little too blane for what I want.

-SUGGESTIONS PLZ! (remember, left-handed)

2. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    I own a carvin 5 string but I think that you will never get the sound you are looking for, i have no idea about custom picks on carvin, but the standard ones give a nice clean sound that doesn't really cope with heavy metal

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The J99s are OK, but I agree that they don't have the kind of thunder I think of when I hear the words "heavy metal". The H50s are definitely not the way to go IMHO, they are even weaker on the low end.

Fortunately there are lots of pickup choices for J-style routs. I stumbled onto some used Sadowsky single-coils that turned my LB75 into a low-end monster. My LB76 has a pair of Bill Lawrence J-45s that totally transformed it - the BLs cover the whole tonal spectrum, and work better as a 6-string pickup than you might expect. Then there are Bartolinis, Aeros, Seymour Duncan Basslines, DiMarzio, etc., etc.

IMHO, the current Carvin preamp is better than most people think. It's no J-Retro, of course, but it's quiet and tonally flexible. Don't knock it until you've tried it.