Pickup options for my J-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Peter Hook, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Peter Hook

Peter Hook Guest

May 17, 2002
    Stockport, UK
    I'm thinking of doing some ups on my fender jazz, and am thinking of upgrading the pickups. It's not been modified, and i've no experience with refitting pickups before. Our band plays a lot of different material, but mostly fairly heavy material. I play with usually light distortion, and a fair bit of speed, but sometimes i need a lighter more subtle tone. At the moment all i do is play with only the bridge turned up for heavy stuff, and only the neck turned up for a softer sound.

What I plan to do is replace the bridge pickup with a more agressive toned one, and the neck with a softer toned one.
    • What pickups should i use?
    • Would it be beter to leave the neck p/u as it is
    • Would there be any problems in mixing my pickups
    • What modifications would be required
    • What kind of cost am I looking at

I know it's a lot to ask, but the help would be appreciated :D
  2. Well, I think the Seymour Duncan Basslines Hot for Jazz pickups are mean and aggressive, but If you use the right strings, they can get a warm tone.

I like 'em.

Lots of other choices. Try to play the more aggressively-wound Bartolinis (check the website).
  3. erich

Mar 3, 2003
    Birch Bay, WA
    Endorsing Artist: Kahler Bass Tremolos
    I strongly suggest the DiMarzio DP123 Model J humbuckers. I use them for both my clean channel, and my distortion channel (I run two signals from my bass into two amps), and they are awesome sounding pickups. Lots of presence, aggressive bite, and awesome tone. Through my distortion channel, I can pull screaming feedback from my bass with ease (in conjunction with my DOD G7, which is where I get my overdrive/distortion sound from). I won't use any other pickup. ;)
  4. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I've used a whole bunch of pick-ups for P-Basses, J's, MM, soapbar applications, etc.

For simple easy installations, no hassle battery-free, reliable, great customer service, customizability, SUPERB tone: Lindy Fralin.

For my Jazz, they broadened the frequency range, added depth to the lows, clarrity to the highs, killed a whole lot of the cursed J-Bass hum.

Good luck.