pickup or preamp distortion?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Christian Waiau, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    I have a problem with one of my basses. It sounds like there's some distortion coming from my bass. I thought it was the cab and speakers but once i use a different bass its gone. I did a bit more and found that when I blend the bridge pickup on full I get the distortion and no distortion when I use the neck pick up only.

From what I am figuring is that the neck pickup is messed up somehow.. I tried lowering the pickup but that did not work. The distortion is heard al all volumes.

Is there a chance its the preamp still? Im fairly certain its the neck pickup.. but if anyone knows another way to test, that would really help.

I dont have money to spend on a new pickup to then find out its the preamp..

2. wiring problem?

3. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

I'll have to check that out! I hope its something that simple

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    What kind of pickups are they? If you have EMG's then the preamp is built into the pickup so each has it's own preamp. Other pickups may have external preamps so it's shared between the two pickups.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    How's your battery? After looking for obvious wiring flaws, the first thing I would do is check and/or replace that.

BCS problem solved, WCS low battery ruled out.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021