1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup output (Lakland 44-64 P/J vs G&L SB-1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GBBSbassist, Nov 19, 2018.

1. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    The bass player in my band picked up a Lakland 44-64 P/J bass last year at Sweetwater's Gear Fest. For the longest time, he's been switching back and forth between the Adam Clayton jazz bass and a G&L SB-1, mostly playing the SB-1 though.

He's been complaining about the volume of his Lakland and is considering new pickups.

Is his volume concern misplaced due to comparing to a G&L? I've never owned one, but always heard the pickups were extra hot.

2. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I have similar experiences. My StingRay output is pretty hot. I compared it to a MIA Fender P bass recently and the Fender's output was so low I was convinced something was wrong with it. I think that's just how they are.

3. BassPilot

BassPilot Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Novato, CA
    The MFD P pickup in the SB-2 that I have are extremely hot and LOUD at full volume. It's almost as loud as most active basses I've played. After playing it for a while, my perception of the other passive basses (I don't have any active basses any more) was that there was something wrong with them. I finally came to the realization that the MFD is Godzillilan :D from a volume perspective.

4. No other passive pickups can really compare, except for those dual-blade ones like DiMarzio makes:

ripx3xorrvd85dzxkfho.

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As Leo Fender was losing his hearing, he kept making louder instruments.