Pickup placement, and its effect on output level

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mike N, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I recently built a franken P that consists of a 22 fret MIA P neck(from a Deluxe P) mounted to a MIC Squier body. The pickup is a Fender 62 P, and the bridge is a Badass 2. The Squier pots and jack were re-used.

With the neck being 22 fret, in order to intonate this thing I had to move the bridge forward an inch on the body. In essence, the pickup is further back(in relation to the bridge) than it would be on a normal P. The distance from the nut to the pickup posts on the E & A side is 29 1/4", and on the D & G side is 30 1/2". For comparison, I measured my MIM P and came up with 28" for E & A, and 29 1/4" for D & G.

My problem is the D & G strings have noticeably lower output than the E & A do. I rechecked my soldering, pickup height, etc and came up empty handed. I reason the lower output is due to the altered position of the pickup. I also notice that this thing is somewhat more trebly than any of my other P's are.

Comments, suggestions?
  2. in general, as a pickup moves toward the end of the strings, the lower harmonics are lost, giving the more trebly sound. on a jazz bass, if you solo the bridge pickup, the sound is a lot more trebly than if you solo the neck pickup. Also, as you move toward the end of the string, the strings are moving less and less. hence the lower output. it may just be from that. If you were bored and looking for an excuse to rip your bass apart (as i often am) you could install a pan pot to compensate for the difference in output. it could even be hidden inside the bass, since you won't be adjusting it very often.