Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup placement on T-Bird Project.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by popinfresh, Aug 2, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, just a quick question. I'm making a T-Bird with J pups and i'm just thinking of pickup placement. Now, I want as much growl as I can from this bass, so I'm thinking of angling one of the J's, like on thumb basses, BUT the OTHER way.

ANOTHER reason for this is, before I planed down my neck peice of walnut, all looked fine, now, theres a pretty big knot in the wood, about an inch or two out from where the bridge will be. At first, I thought i'd put a pickup there and route it out, then I got some measurements wrong somehow and had to move the neck peice up, this in turn moved the knot up. Now it's kind of too far out from the Bridge for the bridge pup to go, and no far enough for a normal placed neck pup. So i'm once again thinking of putting a second bridge pup where the knot is, on a diagonal angle.

What do you guys think? Would it work? Would the two pups be too close together near the bridge (if theres such a thing)? Or would routing out a knot be a bad idea?

Heres what I mean:
    [​IMG]
    Except the second pup would cover all the knot hopefully.

Cheers guys.

BTW: Another option I was thinking might work is like the Thumb 5 pickups. And angle them both like that, putting the first bridge pup over the knot.. Would that be better?

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bump :(

3. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I think you're better off angling the other pup the other way. I believe the reason they're angled like that is to read the d and g strings a little closer to the neck, hence making them bassier, hence evening out the natual tendency for the d and g strings to be thin-sounding. The current setup would do just the opposite, and given the radical angle of the pup, I think it'd be a real problem. The angle doesn't look very nice either.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Oh, ignore that angle. Paint only does straight lines on a 45 degree.

I think I will go the other way, should I do both like the thumb 5?

5. So much for the scientific approach... :rolleyes: :D

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^:D
    I drew that up in like 5 seconds, thought it was pretty good for the time :p
    Does anyone know what angle they should be on? Because I certainly don't :(

7. Well, if nothing else you ought to stabilize the knot.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'm kinda new to this.. and seens that I don't have wood class for a few days, i'll ask here.

How exactly would I go about 'stabalising' the knot? Do you mean filling it?

Also, putting both those pups towards the bridge would mean I could easily drill from a cavity to the pups yeah? That just means I can go in and glue it all together tomorow and not have to worry about routing channels for wires etc on the side of the body for the pickups..

9. Id like to see some actual pictures. Can you get some up?

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, perhaps. I may just be gluing it together next lesson anyway to see what comes of it. I'll probably be able to get them monday or tuesday, i'll keep you posted.
    Sorry for dumb questions, but the teacher at school wouldn't have a clue about making an instrument and no-one around here that I know of has made one so it's hard to find specific info..