1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup placement test --- half inch by half inch with pic

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jibreel, Apr 25, 2010.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I started a thread sometime ago about where the sweetspot was located. Many contributed with many different opinions. Bottom line is what sound best on a particular bass for you.

I have been experimenting with adding a magnetic pickup to my Carvin AC50 piezo bass. I started off by putting the pickup right next to the neck as I definitely like more of a neck sound than a bridge sound. But it sucked in that position :rollno:

So out came the saw and more destruction. More of a center position was better but still had the precision burp that I do not really want. So finally I made a testing system to actually test half inch by half inch to find where it sounded best.

Two 5/8" dowells taped next to the strings. Perfect for holding the pickup the same distance away from the string as it will be when it is mounted. Then I would tape the pickup in a specific place and try it and the move and try etc. The tape is a bit of a hassle but neccesary if you want to hold the bass in normal playing position. But I also tried laying it flat without tape so that I could move it easier and hear the difference quicker.

Man, what a difference 1/2 inch makes. :eek: I mean really. Stunning. How do you tell your luthier where to put the pickup for a custom bass? It makes such a difference.

I finally found a spot where the precision sound mellowed but it did not get to thin or nasally with the bridge sound.

Anyway, here is the pic: No tape as I had removed it all.
    The piece of hardwood will be a pickguard to cover the carnage.

The position of the pickup in this pic is not where it will end up. It will be slightly north of there.

Sound clip: http://www.supload.com/listen?s=sVEp9G

Bass is lying flat. I moved the pickup from the extreme neck position all the way down to the bridge. I shifted the pickup 1.25" each time. This bass has black nylon flats. I think the tonal difference would be greater with rounds or other non-wrapped strings.

DSC00528.

2. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Interesting. Subscribed.

3. No soundclips?

4. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Great Post !

Subscribe.

5. cloclo

cloclo

Dec 13, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    oooooh, soundclips please. i've been waiting for a thread like this! :hyper:

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yup.

It can be quite an earopener. I've used my 34" scale bass pickup testbed for over 20 years in my experimenting. A few years ago I built another for 30" scale basses.

7. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    sound clips in original post

8. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Looks like it sits about where a Stingray pickup might.

9. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    In the original post: The position of the pickup in this pic is not where it will end up. It will be slightly north of there.

10. What's up with the weird chorus/rotary organ sound?

I liked the tone 40 seconds in best.

11. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Keep in mind that this is a CRUDE test. The bass was lying flat on two pillows, the pickup is temporarily wired to the cut off end of a cheap 1/4" cable. No shielding. No preamp. Straight into Audacity on my computer. No processing

High end recording at its best :cool:

12. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Nice! Subscribed.

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Too bad you didn't come up with that idea before you carved huge hole in the top of your bass.

14. Gee, I could have loaned you this for a while:
    DSC01181.

:D

15. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    To me, the tone at 31 seconds sounds best. It seems nice and even.

That Westone is just plain weird.

16. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Where's the fun in that ? :D

I have a reputation to maintain here. Cut first, measure later :bassist:

However, the pickgaurd will make everything OK.

17. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    There's going to be a pickguard over that nice flamed maple?

What is this world coming to?

18. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    You guys.....:eyebrow:

The pickguard is going over the carnage and about 1/4" of the maple.

The grief I get for revealing myself :D

19. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Great idea. I've wanted to try that on a fretted AC40 for a long time.