Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup Placement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by d.bond, Mar 4, 2005.

1. d.bond

d.bond

Feb 11, 2005
    Kewanee, IL
    i was curious about angled PUP's i've seen. where the E is angled towards the bridge and the G is angled toward the fretboard. It evens out the output of the strings doesnt' it?
    i wanted to take my old j-bass PUP's and mount the bridge pickup like it should be but mount the neck PUP so it's angled.
    can this be done with a regular J-PUP or do they use special PUP's for that? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You!

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    A couple of things to consider. When you angle the pickup, is its useable width wide enough to cover all the strings? If it uses exposed pole pieces as opposed to bars do the pole pieces line up sufficiently so that you have good magnetic "coverage" across the strings?

If you can accomodate those two factors, I don't see why there would be any other potential problem.

3. d.bond

d.bond

Feb 11, 2005
    Kewanee, IL
    thanks, i just checked to see if the poles line up with the strings, and yes they do. so i guess i can get started then. thanks for the advice!

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I doubt it would be worth the trouble. I can place pups anyway I want in my basses and moving them the width of a J pup is of no significance the few times I've done it (which is about the distance your talking about unless you're near the bridge). I've angeled them too. The closer to the bridge you get, the more apparent the variance and the more the pup can be angled and still align adequately with the poles. Obviosly, the more the angle the more the variation. Mid position up would likely not be of any significance. Also an inherently brighter pup would likely be more discernable to such alteration. There will always be exeptions and you don't know till you try but I sure wouldn't alter a bass to obtain that - any wasted time is enough.

To my knowledge, Leo is the one who got that started with Strats. You'll note it's only the bridge pup that's angled in a strat. Placing the pup in line would produce less low frequency tone from the bridge pup (the further up the neck a pup is moved the less clear & high frequency and more muddy & low frequency). No doubt the way he arrived at this set-up is by designing a test guitar and moving the pups around till he drew his conclusion. That is basically how my basses are set up. If you could move the pup around in different places like that, it would be worthy of exploration - but to take a blind shot at a given spot would pretty much be exactly that.

I would guess if you were just missing a tone you wanted you could angle a pup to obtain it. But there are many other more practical options that would likely obtain the same/similar results. I'm guessing it's most often done in basses to make it LOOK different. We're suckers for stuff like that.

Anyway, if you do it, I'd appreciate if you'd post your result.

Happy experimenting.

5. d.bond

d.bond

Feb 11, 2005
    Kewanee, IL
    thanks for your insight, lots of information. i was bassically going to do it on a scrap bass to see what it would sound like. i'll have to think about it some more now. thanks so much for the info. i'll let you know if i go through with it.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

not to be discouraging. That's just been my experience to date.

Something similar that I suspect would be worthy of exploring is a wiper type pup. A setup like that really covers some ground and would definetly produce significant variations in tone. Especially if you got one of the thinner 6 string bar soaps and stuck it on a 4 string. I might do that myself now that I think about it :)